where all are welcome but few will stay


7.08.2007

David Sedaris's Latest Essay

I think we all get a little nostalgic for the past, but certainly we don't all go as far as David Sedaris. What is it that draws us to something another has cast off? My own "collecting" has always been for thrift store finds. Mostly, its been clothes I pick up and I can't even say its a yearning for a certain era. As a teenager I wouldn't give up a construction jacket my Dad didn't want any more. It was blue and had a bright orange lining. The zipper was broken and one of the elbows had a brush mark of white paint across it. I wore it all time. My Mom would try to bribe me to take it off, but of course I wouldn't. Hum...I should try and find it. I think its in a closet somewhere.


Reflections: This Old House: Reporting & Essays: The New Yorker

No comments: