where all are welcome but few will stay


6.11.2007

Random Monday

I'm not really sure why this crossed my mind today, although it was a pretty busy weekend and my mind might just be crashing from the mac n' cheese overload I put it through yesterday. Okay, indulge my tangent for a bit, we made a French mac n' cheese to take to a brunch pot luck yesterday. It had whole milk, whipping cream, gruyere, prosciutto, and parmesan in it. It rocked! So ate that, then went to a friend's BBQ where another friend made American mac n' cheese, which is pretty much the same except cheddar cheese and garlic croutons are thrown on top. So tasty! My arteries are probably crying today. Either that or all that cheese is creating a block and the normal amount of blood that usually would be sent up to my brain is actually cut in half!

All of which would explain why this crossed my mind today. I loved this movie when I was twelve. It is such a random way to remember Martin Sheen, but every time I see something written about the man this movie will enter into my thought process. I was surprised to even get the title right on the first try when searching for it! Here is the IMDB plot outline:

"An escaped mental patient kidnaps an illiterate teenage farm girl and takes her to his mountain hide-away, where they soon become friends and, eventually, lovers."

I love the dramatic comma pause, eventually, lovers. Like that can make up for the obvious plot direction you could see coming a mile away. Apparently, Linda Blair wanted then boyfriend Rick Springfield to play the role Sheen was given. That would have been all wrong! Or maybe not, maybe, that would have launched Springfield's acting career and instead of playing a small role on General Hospital he would have ended up playing the president on West Wing. Wow! But he still would have been all wrong because he can't do the cool jacket thing Sheen can. Poor Rick Springfield, he'll forever live in Martin's shadow.

Too bad there are no clips for the movie on YouTube and no plans to release it on dvd either otherwise I could welcome you to my messed up tween idea of romance.

No comments: